Thursday, March 27, 2014

Goodbye Paci

When I woke up last Thursday morning I had no intention of "pulling the plug" on Ava. I started fixing breakfast and Ava was especially whiney. She kept asking for the paci, and it continued most of the morning. Even when she got the paci she was whiney. I remembered this picture that I posted on Instagram a few days before


My girls are only 17 months apart, but I thought it looked really funny with them both having pacifiers.

I decided on a whim to lose the plug. I gathered all of them up and put them out of sight. She kept asking for paci and I just told her it was gone. There was a lot of crying, whaling and whining for the next 2 hours.

Naptime came. I wasn't sure how it would go, but I put her in the bed with her blanket and walked out of the room. After about 20 minutes of screaming I decided to cut the end off of a paci and take it to her. She got so angry when I gave it to her and said that paci was broken.

She finally fell asleep and woke up about 2 hours later. The whole afternoon she maybe asked for it once and since then it's history. It was so much easier than I thought. I knew that the older and smarted Ava got, the harder it would be to get rid of it. I thought that she would try to steal Emma's but she hasn't once.

I'm so glad we went ahead and did this. Ava was already saying more than most other kids her age, but now her vocabulary is so much bigger. She is talking in sentences and saying all sorts of things. 

To anyone who is afraid of this milestone, it may be easier than you think. Both Jackson and Ava were so much easier than expected.

1 comment:

  1. Sam was a nightmare to get rid of his soother but Rachel was surprisingly easy. I'm glad to hear that it didn't go too badly for you all!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips