Thursday, July 14, 2011

My Favorite Thing About Summer

My favorite thing about summer has to be the garden and all the fresh veggies. The pool ranks in at a close second, but I love everything about mowing grass, planting tomatoes and eating fresh purple hull peas. It is a lot of work, but so worth it when you have things from your garden frozen and canned for the winter.





Tonight we had a meal of things entirely grown in my Dad's garden. We also had round steak that was raised at my in-law's farm. My Dad puts in a lot of work to plant the garden every year. I try to help as much as I can, but without him none of that would be possible.

The garden with raised beds and sprinkler system that he built by himself

I can't wait to do some canning and learn more about how to do that from my parents and grandmother. That is such an art that people don't even know exists anymore because it is lost on the older generation. I think it's so neat to be able to plant and store your own food. It's definitely something I want to pass down to my children.

1 comment:

  1. That garden is awesome! It looks my grandmas! I have a garden but mine is tiny and you are right its alot of work but worth it! I love getting stuff out of my garden! ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips