Wednesday, September 18, 2013

To Homeschool or Not to Homeschool???

One thing that has been on my heart the last few months is the question above. I've really been feeling called to homeschool Jackson. First, let me back up and say that if you haven't read the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan, you should! It will change the way you look at life. It's all about living your life completely for God and really listening for His call on your life.

That being said, I don't feel like homeschooling Jackson will come very naturally to me. However, I also feel like God will equip us in areas that we're weak so that we can fulfill his purpose. So, with that in mind we are praying for more direction and guidance with that. If we choose to homeschool, I'm not sure if it will be a forever thing, or if it will only be for a few years. I come from a family of public-school educated people, who all received great educations and went on to do some wonderful things. My husband was homeschooled for 1/2 of his life before going to Jr. high and high school in a public school. So, we have a little of both in our family, and I know we just have to find what is right for us.

I've started looking at homeschool curriculum, and if you've never done it before, be prepared to be overwhelmed. There are literally TONS of different books, videos, and worksheets out there. Luckily for me, Pre K and Kindergarten are much simpler than some of the older grades. One of the programs I've been looking at is called Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool Curriculum. It was developed by a homeschool mom, is Christian based and totally free!

I've heard really good things about it so far, and I'm planning to start the preschool curriculum with him in the next week or two. Everything is broken down into days, and it lays out everything step by step. The lessons for 4-5 year olds aren't meant to take more than 15 minutes to complete. I think this will be a good trial run, and help introduce both of us to working at home together.

templates
This is one of the alphabet sheets from the website. You can find these types of things for free all over the Internet, but I really like her website because it's all put together in one area. I've even found an entire set of alphabet coloring sheets that have letter stories at the bottom on emphasize the letter of the week.

 Currently he is in Mother's Day Out at our church 2 days a week and he loves it! I wish he could keep going there the next few years just to be around other kids and play. I am really going to have to work hard at finding activities for us to do that involve other kids. I'm not very familiar with our homeschool groups and co-ops around here, but I'm going to need to find another support system for us.

This is something that we're still praying about and seeking if it's something we are really supposed to do. I'm excited to get started with him and start working on some things here at home. 

Do any of you have any advice to offer about homeschooling, curriculum etc...?

If so, please feel free to share!

2 comments:

  1. My only piece of advice is make sure you look for ways to keep socializing with other kids. It sounds like you are thinking about that already. My friend who homeschools in our city has found a group of homeschoolers where they get together one afternoon a week for things like gym and music where it's nice to have a bigger group. I will be praying for you as you undertake this new endeavor. And have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought and prayed about homeschooling so many times. My two oldest go to public school and I also have one that goes to church preschool. So far, we've had a good experience in both, so that's what we are going to continue with. Our local dance school offers pe and tumbling classes for homeschoolers. You might check into that.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips