Monday, March 2, 2015

Cheesy Potato and Broccoli Soup



This potato soup is one of my favorites. It also happens to be Jackson's favorite too, which is great considering it is loaded with carrots and broccoli.
It's too good not to share. I was also pretty excited to take some pictures of it simmering in my new terra cotta pot from Marshall's.

Makes about 4-5 servings
Ingredients:

3 carrots chopped
1/4 onion chopped
3-4 large broccoli florets lightly chopped
1 celery stalk chopped
2-3 large potatoes (I used red potatoes)
3-4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tbl butter
1/2 cup shredded cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Melt butter in pot. Add onion, carrots broccoli, celery and potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, Saute until veggies start to become soft. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Boil until potatoes and veggies are completely soft. After this I removed 3/4 of the veggies, put them in a bowl and used an immersion blender to blend them smooth. I like my soups more creamy with less chunky veggies, and the kids eat them better this way too. After you blend that up, pour it back in to the soup pot. Add the heavy cream, shredded cheese and simmer on low for about 5 min. 

This recipe is so easy and doesn't take long at all. The chopping of the veggies is what takes the most time and that can be done ahead of time if needed. It also doesn't take long for the flavors to mix together. This freezes great in individual containers to pull out later.







After the kids finished their lunch we had a little dance party. It's become kind of a thing around here to have dance parties. We mostly stick to Happy by Pharrell and YMCA.


 And yes, those are pants on Ava's head. It can get a little wild around here. 

As much as I hate the cold weather, I do like sitting around the living room with the kids, fire going and soup on the stove.

I hope you enjoy the yummy recipe!

4 comments:

  1. Yummy!! I can't wait to try this! and the dance party sounds fun!!! ;) We have been known to have a few dance parties around here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! This is definitely going into my rotation. In fact, I might make it tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it and it was delicious. Sam ate a ton! I will definitely be making it on a regular basis.

      Delete

 
Blogging tips