Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Adventures in Baby Food

A lot of people have called me crazy, but I have decided to make all of Jackson's baby food, or at least most of it. I am doing it for several different reasons, but a few of which are health, time, and enjoyment. I am at home a lot, and I really enjoy cooking. Since he was born I have been nursing him, well actually I have been pumping exclusively, but either way he has been getting breast milk. I really feel like this is the best thing to do for him. It has been very inconvenient to have to pump every 3-5 hours while also going to school, but it is worth it. I had planned on nursing, but he quit wanting to latch on after about 3 days so I was happy just being able to give the milk to him in some way. I would never put anyone down who chose not to breast feed, or just could not. To each his own, and this just happens to be the way that I feel is best for us. It does amaze me how many people decide that they don't want to breastfeed. I have really seen the benefits of giving it to Jackson in his health. He has never been sick and is a perfectly healthy baby. I figured out that I am probably saving us about $1500 dollars worth of formula. I am a huge breastfeeding advocate, and I hope to be able to continue to do it until Jackson is a year old.

But enough about that and back to the baby food. I found a great website www.wholesomebabyfood.com This website is great because it gives lots of information on how to make and store your own baby food. I have decided to steam, puree and freeze the food in ice cube trays. I am then going to pop it out and put it into bags. It is also very easy to warm up because you can just put it in a pan on the stove and thaw a few cubes out at a time. I want Jackson to start out with good eating habits. I am hoping that if I feed him enough different fruits and veggies that he will aquire a taste for different types of things as he grows older. I made him pears, apples, green beans, carrots, yellow squash, and butternut squash.





I just wanted to share a little bit about what I have been up to and I also hope to encourage others that if they want to do something like this they can find a way. I am busy with school and work, but it is important to me to give him the best nutrition possible. Again, I am not putting anyone down because of other choices, I just want to share a bit about our decision and why we chose it. This is a gift that I am giving to Jackson that he may never know or care about, but I hope that it will help in to be healthier later in life.
On another note, I just took my last two finals today and am officially on break. I haven't been on break since Jackson was 4 weeks old. Next semester I have all online classes and an internship. I won't have to drive to Conway and am doing my internship where I work. I am looking forward to a much more relaxed semester. I graduate in May and plan to start the Masters program in the summer. That will take one full year and then I will finally be done with school!
I am looking forward to a break from school so that I can do more of the things that I enjoy like cooking, sewing, and organizing. (Boy am I in the right field or what!) By the way if anyone is in need of a professional organizer, I am your girl. That has always been a passion of mine, and again there are lots more people who think I am nuts! There is just something about having everything in its place that is calming and relaxing. I find it hard to sit down and rest at night unless everything is clean and put away. I hope to turn that into a career sometime soon.
So anyway, that is what I have been up to. I am ready for Jackson's first Christmas and all the fun things he is starting to do. He is starting to sit up, laugh, and play with his toys. He is so amazing to watch, and I can't wait to see what he does next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips