Friday, July 18, 2014

Mutiny Against Excess- Weeks 4 and 5

Week 4
Wow! The last few weeks have been busy. So busy in fact, that I didn't have time to post. Between doing VBS, working and having fun in the pool with the kids, we haven't had a moment to think. I did, however, get my 'Mutiny Against Excess' done for the last few weeks. 

The first place I had to go was our closet. I have gone through my clothes and shoes in the past getting rid of a few things, but mostly hanging on to things I "might" wear in the future. This time I had a different mindset. I wanted to get rid of the clutter, but also get rid of things I might wear, but don't really need. I was pretty proud of myself in getting rid of several things that I actually like, but weren't necessary for my every day. Y'all, I even got rid of a pair of Toms. That's kind of a big step for me. I also went through our t'shirts and my bedside table. One can only have so many Beth Moore books :-)

I am happy to have my closet down to a manageable size and be able to see everything that's in there. 

Week 5

The girls' closet
My big focus in here wasn't the clothing so much. I feel like we have that down to pretty much only the things that they wear. The biggest issue was the school papers cluttering the top of the closet. I had saved every single thing that Jackson did at Mother's Day Out since he was two. I realized that I was quickly running out of room and that there was no way to save everything.

Jackson isn't really into drawing or coloring, so I knew that most of the coloring sheets could go. These weren't works of art that he was proud of, or even cared about. I decided to get rid of almost everything that wasn't a hand print or foot print.work of art. For most major holidays they make hand/foot print crafts. I couldn't handle getting rid of those types of things.

I ended up with a small walmart sack of things saved from Jackson and Ava. I plan on getting a small plastic tote to keep these things in. I think it will be fun to look back on them in the future and compare sizes.

I also finished up their room by purging a few toys and baby blankets that were no longer needed. I finally feel like their room is down to the basics of things we use every day.


I've still got weeks 6 and 7 to post about, so stay tuned for that.


2 comments:

  1. It is so hard to get rid of kids' schoolwork so way to go! And thanks for the challenge to go through my closet again. I really should do that more often than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is freeing to go thought and get rid of things. I never realized how burdened I felt by having junk around.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips