Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Sleep Update

You may remember me blogging about our 2 year old's sleep issues a few months ago here. I decided that her waking up several times a night was starting to control my life. It was the topic of most conversations that I had as well as a huge point of stress for me. I decided to give up my right to a good nights sleep and try to let it go. I can't say that I completely accomplished that, but I have been feeling better about the situation.


About a week ago we had a breakthrough. After ruling out all other medical issues, we decided that the habit of giving her milk in the night had to stop. I thought it might help her to stop waking up if she got out of the habit of having it. I also realized how much milk we were going through every month. We bought at least 10-12 gallons of milk every month, and she was drinking most of it. 

A little over a week ago we decided to cut the milk out when she is in bed. That meant no milk in bed before she went to sleep or when she woke up in the night. Like most habits with kids, it took about 3 days before she quit completely freaking out when I told her no milk. It was a few more days before she cut out waking up her usual 2-3 times a night, and just recently she is generally sleeping from 8pm-5 or 6am before she wakes up. I still will take her some milk in if it's after 6am and she usually goes back to sleep until 8am. 

I am so thankful that she is sleeping better. I know it will make her feel better to get a good night's rest and it will also help my day out a lot. 

This girl is much more pleasant running on 10 hours of straight sleep!

1 comment:

 
Blogging tips